Marco has accomplished quite a feat with their Ultra Slit Lamp Series. They have managed to create a minimalistic microscope that feels lightweight and is designed with what feels like half the parts of a traditional microscope, and yet have managed to greatly improve optical performance, coverage, and comfort. All things that make the Ultra G2 slit lamp one of our favorites in our range of slit lamp microscopes. Marco says that a new multi-layered, multi-coated system transmits light more efficiently, producing a measurable 20% increase in optical resolution and clarity- furthermore resulting in a 19% increase in light transmission, a 15% expanded field of view and a 14% increase in depth of field. We’re not really sure what these percentages are to mean in quantifiable senses nor are we clear what these are improvements from, but one look through the optics and you’ll take their word for it. The Ultra series does indeed deliver optical clarity far improved from their own prior models, and the majority of other slit lamp microscopes that we’ve tested from the same era. In order to do this however, they haven’t had to build an immense frame nor larger oculars; the Ultra G2 is minimally thought-out in the best of ways. Everything you expect to be on a ‘Zeiss-Style’ slit lamp is present and where you want it- but somehow it looks and feels like the entire system is made up of half the parts and materials than what you’re used to. The chassis is well-thought out, made-up of no more than what’s necessary to produce an elegant curve from the base to hold the oculars. The forehead rest is beautifully set, and assembles to the ergonomic power supply table naturally as if it were all one piece as well.
OUR TAKE: A minimalistic design that sacrifices little and delivers brilliant optical performance.
With a new, modernized optical design, the Ultra Series utilizes a multi-layered, multi-coated system which transmits light more efficiently, producing a measurable 20% increase in optical resolution and clarity. The breakthrough optical quality of the Ultra Series also results in a 20% increase in light transmission, a 15% expanded field of view and a 14% increase in depth of field. A single look through the optics of any Ultra Series slit lamp is enough to tell you that a new age in diagnostic observation has arrived.
• Newly designed high-eyepoint eyepieces (G·Models) help create a field of view 1.3 times wider than conventional slit lamps.
• Threaded, locking eyepieces eliminate the problem of slipping and feature individual dioptric rings that are adjustable for neutralizing refractive error.
• PD adjustment is synchronized over a wide range by manually positioning the right or left ocular section.
• The comfortable, fatigue-free 6-degree convergence angle remains constant regardless of PD adjustment.
• A flattened area on the magnification knob (G·models) allows the operator to adjust power by feel, without looking at the markings.
• With the flat position on top, powers are high; with the flat position on bottom, powers are low.
• A newly designed ergonomic joystick with its adjacent rheostat allows adjustment of elevation, all lateral movements and light intensity without removing your hand from the joystick.
• The joystick top button instantly increases illumination to its maximum intensity. Or…
• The joystick top button can also be instantly converted to a capture button for digital imaging.
• An increased X-Y base range of motion expands the observation area for more efficient 90D or similar auxiliary-lens examinations.
• Finer-pitched gears and metal tracks create smoother, more precise movement. • More secure metal rack covers lock into position for enhanced stability.
• Sleek, curved lines designed to complement today’s styling.
• For ease of maintenance, the rheostat is easily replaceable and the entire slit-lamp base is interchangeable between all Ultra models.
• The standard Y-shaped patient headrest comfortably accommodates most patients.
• An LED fixation light eliminates bulb replacement and assures a virtually unlimited life.
• The optional large patient headrest was specifically designed to accommodate larger patients, and easily mounts on any Ultra model slit lamp.
The transformer is more compact to reduce the possibility of patients’ bumping it with their knees.
• The rheostat is located adjacent to the joystick for more convenient adjustment and a more compact transformer box.
• The slide base offers a more positive feel and better control with the joystick, while offering increased X-Y motion.
• The curved bumper guards of the table are safer, prevent damage, and more attractive.
• For ease of maintenance, the transformer/table top is interchangeable between all Ultra models.
The halogen illumination is transmitted more efficiently through an optically enhanced light source, producing a crisper, clearer image and improving video imaging quality.
• With the redesigned optical system, 20% less light is required for normal examinations.
• A 20% increase in aperture (10mm on models G5, 5 and 2B; 14mm on models G2 and G4) produces a wider field of illumination.
• The halogen bulb is easily accessible for replacement.
• Engraved scales are located on both right- and left-hand slit adjustment knobs.
• The redesigned light source produces more even illumination distribution throughout the entire field of view, resulting in better clarity.
• The “knife-edge” slit aperture mechanism produces a slit of unsurpassed sharpness.
• The filter-identification scale has been enlarged for simplified use and is individually labeled for easier recognition.
• All controls are made of anodized and bead-blasted metal for a high-precision feel, enhanced comfort and reduced maintenance.
G2 offers 10x, 16x and 25x magnification.
G4 offers 6x, 10x, 16x, 25x and 40x powers.
*these powers can be increased or decreased by installing custom oculars.
The Marco Ultra G series rheostat is conveniently located next to the joystick on the microscope.
The elevation of both the G2 Ultra and the G4 Ultra are controlled via the joystick, allowing for single-handed control of all axis’.
The Marco Ultra G series utilizes converging optics to produce a 6 ̊ converging binocular view.
In general, converging optics display a view produced from two oculars intersecting to produce the same image in each.
Parallel optics display a different image in each optic, operating in a mutually exclusive way.